Along with getting a license, regularly renewing your car registration is also essential in Dubai. This renewal of car registration is a simple process with several options for consumers. The Roads and Transport Authority manages the renewal. They have also laid down details about the process of renewing car registration in Dubai. These instructions are easy to follow and vehicle-owners can have the renewal online as well as over a phone. The official procedure may slightly vary depending on the age of the vehicle as well as the purpose of owing the vehicle.
Renewing Car Registration in Dubai
Renewing the registration of your vehicle every year is necessary in Dubai. Your seller may handle the first year for you but later, you will have to take care of renewing the registration yourself. It is not necessary to get the renewal from the same emirate you registered the vehicle in. Any emirate will do. Moreover, you can also hire an insurance agency to do the renewal for you. Examples of agencies providing these services include RSA Insurance, Oman Insurance, Noor Takaful etc.
You can register the vehicle 30 days before the expiry date. However, once the expiry date is done, you can still register the vehicle for another 30 days without additional fines. Once the month after expiry date has gone by, the vehicle owner will have to pay additional fines for late registration. The authorities will cancel registration of a vehicle if the owner does not renew the registration after 3 years.
How to do it?
In order to renew your car registration in Dubai, it is necessary to possess a few documents. These include the old registration card for your vehicle, a certificate proving that your vehicle passed as well as your motor vehicle insurance certificate. Once you possess these documents, the process gets simple.
1. Renewing Car Registration Online
- Check the nearest location for a vehicle testing center using the RTA website and pass the test involving technical inspection of the vehicle. You need to take this test if you have been using the vehicle commercially for over three years.
- Contact your vehicle insurance company and make sure your insurance is renewed and working.
- Log onto the official RTA website and pay for your fines and fees with a credit card.
- Go on to print the temporary registration card and keep it on you when driving.
- Choose the method of delivery of permanent registration card: between courier and personally picking it from an RTA office.
2. Renewing Car Registration with RTA Call Center
- If you have commercially used the vehicle for over three years, pass the technical inspection test for your vehicle.
- Call your insurance company to make sure your vehicle is insured.
- Call RTA on their official phone number (800 9090) and choose licensing services so they direct you to an operator.
- Pay the fines and fees that are due.
- Print your temporary registration notice immediately and keep it on you when driving.
- Choose the method of delivery of permanent registration card via PO Box, courier or personally picking it up from an RTA office.
Hope this list helped you with renewal procedure for car registration in Dubai.