In Dubai, using a mobile phone while driving is considered a serious traffic violation. The law, enforced by the Dubai Police, is designed to ensure the safety of all road users.
It prohibits drivers from using their phones unless they are hands-free devices. This law is based on numerous studies showing that using a phone while driving significantly increases the risk of accidents.
The Fine for Using Phone While Driving in Dubai
The fine for using a phone while driving in Dubai is hefty, designed to deter drivers from this dangerous habit. As of the latest update, the fine is AED 800, along with four black points on the driver’s license. This penalty applies to both calling and texting while driving, even at a red light.
If you become distracted and accidentally cross the red light signal, you will also be liable to pay a fine for running a red light.
How to Pay the Fine for Using Phone While Driving in Dubai
Paying traffic fines in Dubai, including the fine for using a phone while driving, has been made simple and convenient by the Dubai Police through various online and offline methods. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
- Dubai Police Website: Visit the official Dubai Police website. Click the “Services” tab and select “Traffic Fines Payment.” Enter your details such as license plate number, driving license number, or fine number. The system will display your fines, select the one you want to pay, and proceed with the payment.
- Dubai Police App: Download the Dubai Police app on your smartphone (available on both iOS and Android). Navigate to the “Traffic Fines Payment” section and follow the same steps as above.
- RTA Website: You can also pay your fines through the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) website. Go to the “Driver and Car Owner” section, select “Pay Traffic Fines,” and follow the instructions.
- Dubai Police Stations: You can pay your fines in person at any Dubai Police Station. They accept cash, credit, or debit cards.
- RTA Service Centers: Visit any RTA service center and pay your fines at the counter.
- Banks: Some banks in Dubai allow you to pay your traffic fines at their branches or through their online banking portals.
- ATMs: Certain ATMs in Dubai also have the facility to pay traffic fines.
Remember, paying your fines as soon as possible is always better. Sometimes, the Dubai Police offer discounts on fines during specific periods or for prompt payment. Stay safe and adhere to the traffic rules to avoid fines altogether.
The Impact of the Fine on Driver Behavior
Since the implementation of the fine, there has been a noticeable decrease in the number of accidents related to phone use while driving.
According to Dubai Police, the fine has acted as a significant deterrent, encouraging drivers to keep their phones away while on the road. Stories of individuals who’ve faced the fine also serve as a stark reminder of the consequences of this violation.
How to Avoid the Fine
- Stay Hands-Free: Invest in hands-free devices like Bluetooth headsets or car speakerphones. These allow you to answer calls without physically handling your phone.
- Use Voice Commands: Many smartphones have voice-activated features that allow you to make calls, send texts, or use GPS without touching your phone. Please familiarize yourself with these features and use them while driving.
- Pull Over Safely: If you need to use your phone and it cannot be done hands-free or via voice command, pull over safely to the side of the road before using your phone.
- Set Up Before You Drive: If you need to use your phone’s GPS, set your destination before driving. If you’re expecting an important call or text, let the person know you’ll be driving and can only respond once you’ve reached your destination.
- Turn on Do Not Disturb Mode: Most phones have a ‘Do Not Disturb While Driving’ mode. When activated, this feature sends automatic replies to calls and texts, letting the sender know you’re currently driving.
- Educate Yourself: Stay updated on Dubai’s latest traffic laws and fines. Being aware of the consequences can act as a deterrent against using your phone while driving.
- Practice Safe Driving Habits: Cultivate safe driving habits. This includes refraining from using your phone while driving, following speed limits, wearing seatbelts, and maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles.
The fine for using a phone while driving in Dubai is more than just a penalty; it’s a reminder of the importance of safe driving. By adhering to this law, not only do you avoid a hefty fine, but you also contribute to making Dubai’s roads safer.
Let’s put our phones down and keep our eyes on the road.